About The Breast Centre
The Breast Centre (TBC), at The Medical Pavilion Bahamas, was first in The Bahamas with state-of-the-art digital mammography, and may well be the first dedicated breast centre in the Caribbean.
The idea is that a lady concerned about breast cancer can present herself, be interviewed, examined by a Specialist Physician, and screened or investigated using the more effective modality of Digital Mammography over analogue mammography, then advanced to breast ultrasound and/or other image-guided aspiration or biopsy as might be indicated. All of these procedures can be accomplished without having to leave the confines of The Breast Centre or The Medical Pavilion Bahamas.
Once the medical laboratory and pathology department deems malignancy or cancer to be present, immediate referral is made to the highly-qualified cancer team in medical, surgical and radiation oncology at The Cancer Centre, and again, all at The Medical Pavilion Bahamas.
There are numerous advantages to digital mammography:
- Instead of generating film, the mammogram creates a digital image that can be manipulated in ways that improve resolution and contrast, and ultimately detection.
- A clearer image makes it easier to view dense breast tissue found in the African-Caribbean and African-American population where breasts are noticed to be denser in general.
- Better image processing allows mammographers to produce high-quality mammograms while exposing patients to less radiation.
- Ease of transfer of data electronically facilitates interpretation and reporting, as well as second opinions, etc.
- Less call-backs for repeat films or images.
- Digital mammography with Computer-Aided Detection (CAD) giving an automatic 2nd Opinion.
- Breast Ultrasound
- Image-Guided Biopsy Services